Please note that eDoc will be permanently shut down in the first quarter of 2021!      Home News About Us Contact Contributors Disclaimer Privacy Policy Help FAQ

Home
Search
Quick Search
Advanced
Fulltext
Browse
Collections
Persons
My eDoc
Session History
Login
Name:
Password:
Documentation
Help
Support Wiki
Direct access to
document ID:


          Institute: MPI für Astronomie     Collection: Publikationen_mpia     Display Documents



ID: 358520.0, MPI für Astronomie / Publikationen_mpia
Infrared spectral energy distributions of z ~ 0.7 star-forming galaxies
Authors:Zheng, X. Z.; Dole, H.; Bell, E. F.; Le Floc'h, E.; Rieke, G. H.; Rix, H.-W.; Schiminovich, D.
Date of Publication (YYYY-MM-DD):2007
Title of Journal:The Astrophysical Journal
Volume:670
Start Page:301
End Page:312
Audience:Not Specified
Abstract / Description:We analyze the infrared (IR) spectral energy distributions (SEDs) for 10 mum<lambdarest<100 mum for ~600 galaxies at z~0.7 in the extended Chandra Deep Field South by stacking their Spitzer 24, 70, and 160 mum images. We place interesting constraints on the average IR SED shape in two bins: the brightest 25% of z~0.7 galaxies detected at 24 mum, and the remaining 75% of individually detected galaxies. Galaxies without individual detections at 24 mum were not well detected at 70 and 160 mum even through stacking. We find that the average IR SEDs of z~0.7 star-forming galaxies fall within the diversity of z~0 templates. While dust obscuration LIR/LUV seems to be only a function of star formation rate (SFR; ~LIR+LUV), not of redshift, the dust temperature of star-forming galaxies (with SFR~10 Msolar yr-1 ) at a given IR luminosity was lower at z~0.7 than today. We suggest an interpretation of this phenomenology in terms of dust geometry: intensely star-forming galaxies at z~0 are typically interacting, and host dense centrally concentrated bursts of star formation and warm dust temperatures. At z~0.7, the bulk of intensely star-forming galaxies are relatively undisturbed spirals and irregulars, and we postulate that they have large amounts of widespread lower density star formation, yielding lower dust temperatures for a given IR luminosity. We recommend which IR SEDs are most suitable for modeling intermediate-redshift galaxies with different SFRs.
Free Keywords:Galaxies: Evolution; Galaxies: Starburst; Infrared: Galaxies
External Publication Status:published
Document Type:Article
Communicated by:N. N.
Affiliations:MPI für Astronomie
Identifiers:URL:http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2007ApJ...670..301Z
The scope and number of records on eDoc is subject to the collection policies defined by each institute - see "info" button in the collection browse view.